Saturday, May 8, 2010

Earl Grey Tea Cookies (Pg 231)

I'm not one to toot my own horn, but I have to say that I get tons of compliments on my baked goods. I'm good at baking. It's a gift.

However, what I do not have a gift for is making round cookies actually....round. This is yet another recipe that requires the dough to be rolled into a log and refrigerated. This one recommends using a paper towel tube to keep the round shape, but I didn't happen to have any of those on hand. And even when I have used the paper towel rolls, the cookies still don't come out perfectly round, so I've pretty much given up. They'll be whatever shape they want to be.

They came out rectangular, with somewhat rounded edges. Like most of these cookies turn out. Whatever; a cookie's a cookie, no matter what the shape.

Looking at these, everyone thinks they're poppy seed. Even after eating them, they usually think they're poppy seed, because there's citrus in them so people think it tastes like lemon poppy seed. This pretty much proves my theory that poppy seeds have no flavor. If it looks like a poppy seed, you'll assume it's a poppy seed because you can't really identify the flavor.

The little black flecks in these are definitely not poppy seeds. Rather, they are tea leaves. What you do is actually cut open an earl grey tea bag and put the tea in with the flour. I guess if you had tea leaves instead of tea bags, you could grind the tea leaves into a finer powder, using a coffee grinder or a food processor.

These also have orange zest in them, to give it a nice little bite. As I said, the flavor is not really identifiable. But they do taste very good. They have a shortbread consistency, which everyone loves. Even though they fool you into thinking they are poppy seed, I call these a success.


Yield:
Recipe predicts: About 8 dozen.
Actual: 4 dozen.

57 recipes down, 118 to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment