Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Rhubarb Crumb Bars (Web)

As I mentioned before, I am going to be replacing some of the recipes in the book with other Martha Stewart recipes. If any of the recipes in the book have nuts that I'm too allergic to, I'm not making them, and in order to keep the amount of recipes at 175 I will just use some recipes from the web.

Which is actually pretty brilliant because I had subscribed to Martha's "Cookie of the Day" e-mail list. This makes it a lot easier to find replacement recipes.

I got this recipe from the e-mail list about a week before we got rhubarb from our farmer. Leave it to Martha to have all the seasonal recipes perfectly timed. I was excited because it was something different, and it's always exciting to use fresh, local, seasonal produce in cooking or baking. The recipe calls for 1/2 a pound of rhubarb, and we got 1 pound and didn't have any other plans for it, so I doubled the recipe.

I must've miscalculated something in the doubling process. The cake part wasn't quite right. There wasn't really enough of the cake batter to cover two 8inch square pans. But I went with it anyway. When these were immediately done, they were still too tart from the rhubarb. There isn't a lot of sugar mixed in with the actual rhubarb, it more gets its sweetness from the sugar crumb topping. The next day, some of the sweetness from the crumb had settled into the rhubarb and it was delicious.

I know for sure something was wrong with the measurements because I ended up making these again, and again doubling it, but the cake batter part came out completely differently. The second time, the one pictured here, came out perfectly. It was a perfect crumb cake bottom. Dense and rich and sweet. The crumble topping, of course, is delicious. It's melted butter and brown sugar, how can you go wrong? All together the bar is absolutely delicious. Sweet and tart, rich and satisfying, just perfect. I'm slight obsessed with it. It's a good thing we will be getting at least a pound of rhubarb every week until our farmer runs out. I will be making a lot more of this.


Yield:
Recipe predicts: 16.
Actual: 12, I cut them bigger.

59 recipes down, 116 to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment