Monday, April 26, 2010

Iced Hermits (Pg 102)

I'd been wanting to make these for a long time but I never had candied ginger on hand. One time I bought candied ginger but it all got eaten before I got to making these bars. So this time I got extra, some for eating and some for baking.

The actual bars here were so delicious. Tons of great gingerbread-like spices: ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, pepper, cloves. And dark brown sugar instead of white sugar, and molasses. Seriously, this combination is just so delicious. So these were really similar to the Gingerbread-Whote Chocolate Blondies but the difference was the little extras.

Instead of white chocolate chunks this has raisins and candied ginger in it. Obviously the candied ginger is for the topping also, but there are also bits of it in the actual bar. I'm not crazy about candied ginger, and the kind I got this time was a little extra spicy, so I wasn't crazy about it from that perspective. If it were just raisins I would've loved it, and if it was chocolate I would really really loved it, but then it'd be just like the other ones.

Apparently the reason these are called hermits is because they're better after they've been stored away for a couple days, like hermits. It gives the flavors more time to mingle and deepen. I've actually found that most cookies are better after a day or two for that very reason.


Yield:
Recipe predicts: About 3 dozen.
Actual: 2 dozen.

53 recipes down, 122 to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment